Haig V. Kalbian, co-founder of the Firm, has well over 25 years of experience representing the interests of commercial entities and individuals in complex litigation and arbitration in the United States and the Middle East.
A take-charge lawyer, Haig combines litigation and negotiation skills with an intimate knowledge of different cultures. This has allowed him to consistently achieve outstanding results in a wide range of commercial disputes involving millions of dollars, including contract, RICO, securities, arbitrations, partnership, real estate, derivative claims and technology related litigation.
Haig has steadily demonstrated the ability to serve clients’ interests in a manner that results in the favorable, prompt and cost-effective resolution of the cases with which he is entrusted. Whether representing Western or Middle Eastern clients, Haig is also admired for the thoughtfulness and tact he brings to problems that often span across cultural gaps.
Among notable representations, since 2006 Haig has served as a special litigation counsel for a large and prominent foreign bank facing a multibillion dollar law suit pending in federal court. The litigation was brought by thousands of plaintiffs under the Anti-Terrorism Act and the Alien Tort Claims Act, and is among the largest and most complicated matters pending in the U.S. courts. The case involves complex issues of both foreign and domestic law.
Among Haig’s many successes are the following:
- Forced dismissal of a $9 billion civil bank fraud and conspiracy case brought by a large Saudi merchant family against US citizen client in federal court in Los Angeles alleging multiple causes of action under both US and foreign law. Case settled after more than two years of fierce litigation with US client paying no money to plaintiff.
- Represented a Middle Eastern Central Bank in convincing a trial judge in New York Supreme Court to “unfreeze” $30 million wrongfully attached by judgment creditors.
- Represented and defended a prominent member of a Gulf ruling family in complex U.S. litigation. The matter proceeded to a full arbitration hearing and resulted in an outcome that saved the client over $15 million.
- Led the legal defense team that enabled a favorable settlement on behalf of a major Saudi Arabian real estate venture in a dispute with its partners involving the Boston Navy Yard.
- Obtained summary dismissal in New York Supreme Court of a multi-million dollar claim filed against a Texas-based national real estate developer arising from the development of a downtown Manhattan office tower.
- Obtained substantial award for a major Saudi Arabian company in a commercial dispute with a U.S. corporation based in Texas. In formulating an aggressive litigation strategy, Haig was able to secure the award and prove several large Wall Street firms wrong after they passed on the engagement.
- Negotiated a “nuisance value” settlement on behalf of a member of a Gulf ruling family named as a defendant in a multi-million dollar complex commercial action filed in the Southern District of New York.
- Enabled defendants he represented to settle a multi-million dollar civil RICO suit in Florida for less than $30,000 by aggressively defending the litigation filed, as a class action. Over a number of years, Haig was able to chip away at the plaintiffs’ case and force them to accept a “nuisance value” settlement on the eve of trial.
- Prevented the eviction of a Gulf country’s United Nations Mission in New York City in the months following 9/11 through aggressive litigation tactics in the Southern District of New York.
- Led the legal team that obtained a multi-million dollar verdict in the Eastern District of Virginia on behalf of I.T. Company on the grounds of civil conspiracy and trade secret infringement.
ATTORNEY ADVERTISING. Case results depend upon a variety of factors unique to each case. Case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any future case.