Mark is an experienced international businessperson and counsel who assists clients with the development and implementation of corporate governance policies, contract drafting and negotiation, disputes resolution, project support, staff training, the legal issues involved in large project delivery and troubleshooting, and directing the development and maintenance of compliance standards for businesses operating internationally.
Mark’s client-focused approach to representation comes from his business background and in-house counsel experience. He understands his clients’ businesses. His market knowledge enables him to create legal solutions that deliver enduring tangible value.
His practice concentrates on commercial and corporate operational solutions, major construction and infrastructure engineering projects, public sector contracting and regulatory affairs, compliance matters, labor law, insurance, and technology. He has meaningful relationships with government agencies and major private sector companies throughout the developing world, based on his project work for our American and international clients.
Mark has more than ten years of unique experience navigating the complex legal systems in the Middle East, North Africa, Asia, and Latin America, successfully delivering the legal services needed to successfully bring complex construction projects to completion.
Current & Recent Representative Matters
- Provided key legal services on projects with a total construction value of almost USD 100 Billion.
- Management of all legal aspects of design, construction supervision, and project management consultancy services including project pursuit, contract negotiation, project team support, client interface, dispute resolution, and contract closeout on numerous mega value infrastructure projects that include:
- The Riyadh Metro,
- The King Khaled Airport expansion,
- the North-South Rail Link,
- The Jahra and Jamal Abdel Nasser Roads in Kuwait,
- The Doha Metro,
- ASGHAL’s water and wastewater projects in Doha,
- The Dubai Parks infrastructure works,
- The Riyadh Airport expansion,
- The Doha Airport expansion, and
- The Motor City project in Dubai.
- Developed, adapted for specific country use, trained staff to use, and maintained a suite of standard form agreements for use by engineering and project management consultants operating in MENA and South Asia, these forms include standard consultancy agreements, sub consultancy agreements, employment and secondment agreements, several joint venture agreements, and consultancy agreements specifically adapted for alternative project delivery.
- Led development, staff training, and implementation of legal and ethical compliance programs for international operations covering FCPA, Anti-Bribery Act, Anti-Boycott law, U.S. sanctions regimes, local equivalent laws, applicable anti-discrimination and employment laws including ILO standards, KYC programs, anti-trust and anti-competitive practices.
- Counseled on the formation, structuring, restructuring, and corporate secretarial requirements for multinational Consultancy, Construction, Technology, Insurance, and Luxury Goods corporations in the Middle East, Asia, and Latin America.
- Represented a major German water and wastewater contractor on a variety of claims and contractual matters arising in Europe and Asia.
- Represented the founding partners/members of RSO Architects on the formation of an international architectural and engineering consultancy through the acquisition and merger of practices and business lines based in Dubai, Portugal, and the USA. Acted as outsourced General Counsel and advised on corporate, commercial, compliance, and governance matters. In particular, the formation of joint ventures with other consultants and contractors and regulatory compliance in the GCC and EU markets.
- Counseling the Desert Group on regulatory compliance in Dubai concerning business activities of their design operations and design-build operations.
- Represented HKA Architects on local law liability issues, specifically decennial liability, and invalidation of limitation of liability clauses, and practical, solutions-focused, risk management policies and procedures for US based architectural consultants operating in the GCC.
- Acted as outsourced Legal and Operational Director for Stonestep AG, March-December 2017, providing general counsel function and operational advice to a Swiss based insurance technologies subsidiary of XL Catlin for startup operations in South Asian markets. Advised on global corporate structure and tax planning, corporate governance including the responsibilities of managers and directors, local office set up, regulatory affairs, HR issues and global mobility, compliance and anti-corruption, development and implementation of standard form contracts, and adapting product design and delivery methods to local market laws, regulations, and customs.
- Advised confidential South-East Asian state-owned facilities management corporation on its rights under local law in Saudi Arabia relating to the termination of a long-term transit infrastructure DBO contract.
- Development, adaption for specific country use, staff training, and maintenance of a suite of standard form agreements for use by engineering consultants operating in MENA and South Asia, these forms include standard consultancy agreements, sub consultancy agreements, employment and secondment agreements, several joint venture agreements, and consultancy agreements specifically adapted for alternative project delivery.
- Led development, staff training, and implementation of legal and ethical compliance programs for MENA operations covering FCPA, Anti-Bribery Act, Anti-Boycott law, U.S. sanctions regimes, local equivalent laws, applicable anti-discrimination and employment laws including ILO standards, KYC programs, anti-trust and anti-competitive practices.
- Led the legal review and risk assessment for participation in and subsequent tender challenge preparations for tender of the expansion of the Mexico City Airport. Responsibilities included assessing the intended procurement strategy and construction tender and impact on likely project requirements in light of construction contract’s approach to project delivery, including gathering and interpreting information about the impact of local law on general practices.
- Brazil Airport expansion and privatization- worked in conjunction with counsel for Zurich Airports as part of PPP tender consortium to prepare the tender strategy, in particular, the assessment of contractual risks and program delivery requirements from commercial, project management and legal perspective.
- Greek Island Airports Privatization- led the team that provided the economic and legal risk assessment for the project and the subsequent needs assessment and oversight contract negotiations to the Greek Aviation Authorities. This matter included evaluation of contractor performance and the level of oversight required to ensure the performance of PPP consortia.
- Provided advice and counsel that helped a variety of construction and development companies successfully resolve issues related to infrastructure, water, and road projects.