Spencer O’Dwyer is a member of the firm’s civil litigation practice group representing clients at the state and federal level, as well as in private arbitrations and mediations.
As an established trial attorney, Spencer represents individual and organizational clients involved in commercial and employment litigation before state and federal courts and administrative agencies.
Spencer has an established track record of obtaining favorable results for clients through settlement, judgment, and arbitral award. He has multiple successes arbitrating commercial cases before the American Arbitration Association and the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), and has recovered substantial settlements on behalf of clients involved in commercial litigation, employment discrimination and personal injury actions.
As part of his work in corporate and transactional matters, Spencer has successfully handled general liability and life insurance claims and coverage disputes on behalf of individual and organizational clients. Spencer’s practice also focuses on drafting effective contractual agreements, including shareholders’ agreements and note purchase agreements. Moreover, Spencer consistently provides concise legal opinions on a variety of client issues in the form of legal memoranda. Spencer has also played a role in the recovery of funds due under government contracts.
Spencer also has experience handling both domestic probate and foreign estate proceedings, including will contests.
Recent representative matters include:
- Obtaining a $2,675,000.00 settlement with multiple defendants in a federal wrongful death action.
- Obtaining an $800,000.00 settlement in a personal injury action against a D.C. business establishment.
- Obtaining a $375,000.00 FINRA arbitral award in favor of a former Morgan Stanley financial advisor.
- Obtaining a $100,000.00 settlement on behalf of an employee in a breach of contract and false claims act case.
- Obtaining a $70,000.00 settlement on behalf of a technology company in a breach of contract case.
- Obtaining a federal declaratory judgment in favor of a London-based investment company with respect to its ownership of an internet domain name.
- Obtaining a mutual dismissal on behalf of a homeowner sued for $385,000.00 under a custom home construction contract.