Bill McGrath is a highly skilled trial attorney whose practice concentrates on complex commercial dispute resolution, including banking, securities fraud, contractual disputes and fraud cases.
He has successfully advised and represented domestic and international clients in state and federal courts throughout the United States in all stages of litigation including complaints, discovery, summary judgement, pretrial and post-trial and appeals.
Representative matters include the following:
- Prevailed in a federal appeal to allow a claim in Massachusetts for unfair trade practices to proceed on behalf of a Saudi defense consultant;
- Obtained the dismissal of a federal action in Delaware seeking to pierce the corporate veil of a Saudi defense contractor (Harrison v. Soroof International, Inc., 320 F.Supp.3d 602 (D. Del. 2018);
- Successfully reduced a judgment of over $146,000 against a hospitality company to $582;
- Successfully intervened and secured a favorable settlement in a federal action in Virginia on behalf of an English public limited company to protect its intellectual property rights to its domain name;
- Defended a New York Bank in AAA Arbitration against claims based on a change-in-control agreement;
- Negotiated a favorable settlement on behalf of a DC non-profit organization for claims of a former employee seeking post-severance compensation;
- Defended an attorney against criminal securities fraud charges in federal court in Oklahoma;
- Successfully defended a mortgage company in a state court action in Florida alleging state racketeering and fraud counts;
- Obtained the dismissal of fraud, negligence and breach of contract claims brought against a Florida lender;
- Defended a former board member against criminal insider trading charges in federal court in Ohio;
- Obtained a jury verdict of $24.6 million at the completion of a five-month trial on behalf of an English merchant bank;
- Obtained the dismissal of an action brought against three Swedish entities against a $45 million claim based upon lender liability theories in Connecticut state court;
- Brought an action against a New York-based securities broker over the sale of securities and obtained a settlement valued at more than 60% above the demand in the complaint;
- Obtained favorable settlements in New Jersey and Massachusetts federal courts while defending a New Jersey-based plastics distributor and its officers against breach of contract claims;
- Prevailed on appeal of a federal court’s entry of summary judgment and secured an order allowing counterclaims to proceed for a wireless development company (Com/Tech Communication Technologies, Inc. v. Wireless Data Systems, Inc., 163 F.3d 149 (2nd Cir. 1998)
- Obtained a dismissal following limited discovery from a D.C. federal court in an action against an Ohio accounting firm accused of malpractice;
- Successfully defended a member of the English House of Lords in an action alleging securities and racketeering violations in Texas state court;
- Won the dismissal from a Virginia federal court action of an $80 million antitrust claim against a Washington-based office supply company; and
- Served as a member of the trial team in a six-month federal jury trial in New York concerning commodities manipulation, which resulted in a favorable $197 million judgment.