Bill McGrath is a member of Kalbian Hagerty’s litigation practice group. Bill is a highly skilled litigation attorney with extensive experience in complex commercial matters, including banking, securities fraud, contractual disputes and fraud cases.
He has successfully advised and represented domestic and international clients in state and federal courts throughout the United States in all stages of litigation including from complaints, discovery, summary judgement, pretrial and post-trial and appeals.
Representative matters include the following:
- Successfully defended a mortgage company in a state court action in Florida alleging state racketeering and fraud counts;
- Obtained the dismissal of fraud, negligence and breach of contract claims brought against a Florida lender;
- Obtained a jury verdict of $24.6 million at the completion of a five-month trial on behalf of an English merchant bank;
- Obtained the dismissal of an action brought against three Swedish entities against a $45 million claim based upon lender liability theories in state court;
- Brought an action against a New York-based securities broker over the sale of securities and obtained a settlement valued at more than 60% above the demand in the complaint;
- Obtained favorable settlements in various federal courts while defending a New Jersey-based plastics distributor and its officers against breach of contract claims.
- Obtained a dismissal from a federal court action for an Ohio accounting firm accused of malpractice following limited discovery.
- Successfully defended a member of the English House of Lords against alleged securities and racketeering violations in state court;
- Won the dismissal from a federal court action of an $80 million antitrust claim against a Washington-based office supply company.
- Served as a member of the trial team in a six-month jury trial concerning commodities manipulation, which resulted in a favorable $197 million judgment.