James R. (“Jim”) Hagerty, co-founder of Kalbian Hagerty LLP, leads a diverse corporate, tax, securities and business law practice, with special emphasis on international, cross border matters.
Over the past 30 years, Jim has advised, represented and in many cases, served as general counsel to multi-national corporate groups, private corporations, international organizations, non-profit associations, and high net worth families and individuals on a wide range of transactional and general business issues.
He is recognized as a trusted adviser who provides a high level of responsiveness and practical, solution-oriented advice and has developed a reputation for tenancity and attention to detail with his clients of all sizes and nationalities to form intelligent, cost effective strategies when overcoming legal, regulatory and business challenges.
Jim’s area of expertise include the following: corporate formation and governance, federal, state and international tax planning and controversy work, mergers and acquisitions, contract negotiations, employment matters, regulatory compliance, due diligence, negotiation of business controversies, administration of non-profit charitable organizations, real estate, succession planning, and estate planning/administration, in may cases with international aspects.
Jim also serves as Kalbian Hagerty’s liason to Ally Law, a world-wide network of rigorously vetted law firms located in more than 60 countries. Kalbian Hagerty’s membership in Ally Law gives the law firm significant global reach and helps our clients achieve strategic advantage while serving them with a sharp focus on value, competence, and efficiency.
- Serve as U.S. general counsel for a number of European and Middle East based corporate groups and provide legal advice regarding market entry strategies, corporate formation, tax planning (FIRPTA), employment law, contracts, financing structures, and other day to day legal issues.
- Work with family offices and private clients to identify, structure and administer investments in all types of U.S. property and handle all related business, estate planning and tax issues including choice of entity, capital structure, asset protection, corporate governance, tax and estate planning, philanthropic planning, compliance, withholding, and FATCA.
- Advise and represent clients in all stages of tax controversies from initial contact with the auditor to appeals from Tax Court decisions. Experience with all aspects of international asset and tax reporting including participation in the Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program and preparation of FBARs.
- Counsel start-up companies on pre-formation planning, incorporation, business contracts, employment issues, raising investment capital and expansion planning.
- Provide advice and counsel to 501(c)(3) charitable organization on formation, corporate governance, private inurement, political activities, unrelated business income, anti-money laundering, and other issues.
- Planned and implemented outbound foreign holding company structure for a global U.S. based corporate group including advice regarding foreign corporate formation, agency issues, VAT planning, Subpart F, partnership, licensing entity classification, and transfer pricing issues.